Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Happy Independence Day

Happy 4th of July to all the Yanks out there!

I remember my childhood 4ths with fond recollections. The family would bundle up in the station wagon and drive to Green Lake (which then seemed like a far away adventure but which really is only half an hour away) to watch the fireworks. Mom would make a picnic dinner of fried chicken, potato salad and red white and blue Jello (Jelly) and we would run around writing our names in the air with sparklers. We would ooo and ahh over the fireworks and then fall asleep driving home again. It was always marked the beginning of summer for me. Queens birthday just isn't the same - I guess I need some John Philip Sousa playing and the star spangled banner. America was better when I was a kid.

Now for knitting - a while back I bought some Addi circs on line. Now, I'm a newish knitter and only knitted on circular needles once before. But I liked the process so I though I would buy some. I bought a 40cm 5mm needle as well as some others. Well, I thought that the 40cm meant the length of the cable. And when the package came in the post I was so disappointed to see that they were 40cm from point to point. I could not imagine what I could knit with them. I tried anyway, and now...














I love them. They are so easy to knit with and as long as I don't put too many stitches on them they work a treat. Scarfs are easy and hats are easy. I don't have to look while I'm knitting and nothing ever slips off. I feel like I am knitting a secret little something held in my lap with no fuss when I am knitting with them.

I love it when mistakes turn out so good.

I bought some wool for a sweater for my youngest son at the Hall Markets on Sunday. It was sold as seconds (cheap). I can't wait to see it knit up but it will have to wait till I get back from my trip (well maybe I'll swatch it before I go)


For what avail the plough or sail, or land or life, if freedom fail? ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.

2 comments:

Bells said...

I love my 40cm addis. You're right. Great for scarves etc. Just perfect.

You can get wool at the hall markets??? I'm there!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, rhonrhon, you've given away our little secret. All the Canberra knitters will be there next time!