Saturday, July 7, 2007

Friday night I made my first attempt at dyeing some wool. The process is so easy but the skill comes in knowing how colours work and saturation degrees. I got some wool that I will knit into socks but I'm not sure they will be right for the person I had in mind. They are a little bright.

























I know a wee little bit about dyeing - I did some batiking when I was a hippy. And since I dyed this wool I have been remembering little bits and pieces. I have some very old cold water dyes that I will try that I'm sure will give me a more muted, more controlled colour pallet.
With all it's flaws there are two things I am proud of:



I remembered to dye two ball exactly the same!



















And I got the striping the way I wanted it!


















I've got lots of ideas...



Yesterday I went to my book group. We read Elizabeth Jolley and everybody loves her. She is such and inspiration. She was witty and clever and imaginative and she didn't start writing until she was in her 50's.


One of the girls in my group is a expert spinner. One of the other girls has a wheel so we got a little lesson. Then the expert spinner offered me the use of her spare spinning wheel to see if I like it!! I am so excited. When I get back from my US visit I will be learning how to spin!


Ciao till next time.

1 comment:

Bells said...

oh that's so pretty Rhonda! Well done!

And I love Elizabeth Jolley too. She's wonderful.