Thursday, January 10, 2008

Scared of catching SSS

When I first started knitting socks, I read so much in so many blogs about Second Sock Syndrome that now I am scared to catch it. As soon as I graft the toe of the first sock I cast on the second sock. I just continue to be in love with the colourway or lace pattern or whatever attracted me to start the socks in the first place.

I have come very close to suffering SSS when I came back from the states in the middle of last year. I started a pair of socks for a GF in Seattle while I was there, fully expecting to finish them before I came home. Right! The first one was done, the second started. I packed them in my suitcase full of new wool and forgot about them when I got home. I had made up a little pattern and I couldn't remember it when I finally found the lone sock. So scared of SSS am I that instead of sitting down and figuring out the pattern again - I ripped. I dampened the wool (corn actually - it is Maisy) and it sits in my stash again. I am pretty sure that it was the coward's way out but I don't care.

So earlier in the week when I felt the need for socks (when it hits it is worse than my craving for Sammy's Calamari or dark chocolate M&M's!) and I got into my state's stash for sock yarn and found Socks the Rock (oh,no, I've lost the ball band - it's around here somewhere).

It is so beautiful! I cast on immediately and knit through the second season of Entourage (it's a little young and boyish with lots of girls in bikinis which isn't my type of show at all but some of it was entertaining)


I grafted and cast on this morning.

I knit a little flower in the back of the sock. I'm not really a wearing flowers type of girl but I thought this colourway was strong enough. Now that it's finished I can't really see the flower but I like the look of it on the back of my leg anyway. Like a little secret.

No comments: