Saturday, January 12, 2008

New Year's Plans

I have been knitting for a couple of years now. I have been a lucky girl to have knit with all kinds of yarn. I've knit with softest merino wool and scratchy cheap wool. I've knit with cotton, bamboo, corn, tofu, shellfish, plastic and silk. I'm knitting with cashmere. I'm knittting with angora.

I don't pretend for one minute to be an expert on fibre by any means. But at least now, when I read about a blogger's project I can imagine what the yarn is like. And that increases my enjoyment of reading blogs so much. I can imagine what that soft sock yarn feels like when someone is knitting a lace sock. I can imagine what those cashmere wrist warmers feel like as someone slips on the finished pair. I can imagine how that silk slips over the bamboo needles, and how that linen hurts the knitters fingers while they knit.

The more I knit the more I can appreciate other's knitting.

This year I am going to take on more difficult projects. I'm no Yarn Harlot or Eunny Jang - not even in the same universe. But since learning more about fiber this past year has increased my enjoyment of other's knitting so much, as well as my own, learning about pattern should do the same.

Here I go - first projects are a lace shawl and a vest from Vogue Knitting Never Never Land.

Cashmere merino mix.....
Angora.....
Wish me luck.