Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Nantucket Jacket

This is the third time I have started the Nantucket Jacket from Interweave Winter 2006. Yikes!

I found the yarn at the Cassidy's sales - not for me, mind, but perfect Cath colours and she loves it. I let her pick the pattern that she wanted from all of my books and magazines. She liked this one because it had no 'basque'!! I have never heard of ribbing being called basque before but we looked it up and - yup, it's a word for the bit below the waist.

So I swatched like a good girl - went down a needle size. OK, all is well. Knit three inches - too big by miles. What the? Frogged.

Swatched again - went down another needle size 'cause I could. OK - knit three inches - still too darned big. Nantucket was beginning to rhyme with a word I said out loud several times. Frogged.

Swatched again and did some math! No way does that gauge match the cast on number of stitches. I checked Ravelry to see if others found the same thing. Some did, some didn't. I got confused.

So I ammended the pattern and Cast on 100 instead of 120 and I've knit three inches - so far so good.

I like the pattern a lot. It is the perfect pattern to listen to a audio book - you don't need to look at the pattern all the time but for me, it needs more concentration than a movie will allow me. I need to look at the knitting. Listening to Four Spirits by Sena Jeter Naslund - so far both are great!

1 comment:

Monika said...

I like the yarn you are using for this jacket. It is one of my favorite ones.