Friday, June 20, 2008

Knitting - the universal language.

I had to go see the Doc yesterday and, as usual, he was running a bit behind time. Doesn't bother me cause I'm not in a hurry on my days off. I pulled out my sock and started knitting a few rows. A man in his 70's who was also waiting asked me what I was knitting. "Socks" I said and held it up for him to see.

Well, he told me his lovely story about how his Mum knit him a pair of socks every Christmas until she died when he was 17, and he still had one pair that he took out of his drawer and put on every time he missed his Mother.

He didn't want to wear them much because he wanted something that she had touched for the rest of his life.

By the time he finished telling me this both of us and a couple other people had tears running down our cheeks.

I got some bad news about my Dad yesterday morning and he has two pairs of socks that I knit him last year that he loves and he can wear for the rest of his life. How nice is that!

Don't let anyone tell you that knitting doesn't matter or isn't important for the other people in our lives, as well as for our own peace of mind and sanity!

I finally finished my shawl and I will take a photo after I block it tommorow - it is really nice and I love it!

I did knit myself a winter hat that has received more compliments, out in the world, than anything else I have knit. It wasn't even a pattern - just knitting until it fit. It is Malibrigo, though, and I am having trouble taking it off!

2 comments:

Monika said...

Awww! I can only hope my children treasure my hand knit items as much. What a lovely, and sad story! Cool hat you are wearing. :o)

Denise said...

MMMM, Malabrigo :)

I'm very sorry to hear that you've had bad news about your dad - very hard to be so far from family at times likes this.