Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What to do with a very expensive single skein?

When I was stateside last year I bought a lot of yarn! And now that I am going to knit through my stash, my mind is always thinking, seeking, watching, imagining what to do with all the skeins of yarn that I have. Three of linen, four of bamboo... And I am keeping a little notebook and writing down ideas.

Enter my very expensive skein of Blue Heron silk and rayon twist yarn. It is absolutely stunningly beautiful in my eyes. But, what to knit with it? I am totally into scarfs but this shouldn't be a long skinny scarf. It should be a very special scarf. So out came all of my books, magazines, and downloads from Knitty, etc. Elizabeth Zimmerman to the rescue. In particular, the pi shawl. I've watched a couple of bloggers knit this lately and it seemed perfect. Easy and plain enough to show off the colours and sheen.

And I love it. Look isn't it pretty?

I have some very soft cream baby alpaca and silk mix that I think will be another one of these.
Now, Nettie look away.
Tonight is Nat's going away party and Pat's birthday party so I made something special to take.
This is what 12 ounces of Lindt Chocolate looks like ready to be...

This - Chocolate Cinnamon Tart. I put lots of cinnamon in it.

I'm going to smother it with cinnamon whipped cream. If it works I'll let you know. If it doesn't we will never speak of it again!

4 comments:

Bells said...

Oh that's a fabulous way to use up a single expensive skein! Nice work.

And that tart - OMG! I love it. Can you post the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Cath and I are in awe of your overwhemingly superior talents. Your knitting and cooking prowess are both impressive, innovative and captivating. How do you manage to do other things during your day?

Keep on a knitting. Have you ever thought of selling these? I would pay in excess of $85 for even a pair of your socks!!!!!!!!!

PS Who is that spunky chick min the cardy?

nettie said...

My oh my. I didn't heed your warning. I looked at all that chocolate. Luckily, just looking is not headache-inducing. Hope it turned out scrumptious.

And that shawl...holy heck, Rhonda! You're amazing. That shawl is just beautiful. I can't wait to see it in the flesh, er.. in the yarn, er.. you know what I mean.

Monika said...

The Pi-shawl is on my list as well. Yours looks lovely already! Mmh, yummy. The chocolate picture made me grab my last Milka chocolate.